Thursday, May 18, 2006

Madeleines

Madeleines and Cappucino
These turned out fantastically. Lighter and less cloying than the store-bought variety, much more citrus-y, and you don't feel like you've swallowed a barbell.
Ingredients
  • 250 g unbleached white flour (I used a scale, but I guess you can figure on about a cup)
  • 250 g sugar
  • 250 g unsalted butter (Yeah, it's a lot. I've been biking all week as penitence)
    4 eggs (refer to the biking comment)
  • Zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Mix together flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla and zest. Melt and add the butter to the mixture. Pour into molds halfway up.
I guess you can also pour into ramekins or anything else that strikes your fancy. Madeleine molds seems ubiquitous for some reason. I'm not complaining. Avoid silicone molds, which are way more expensive and don't really result in that nice brown bottom.
Cook at 350 F for 20 minutes. Pour yourself a cuppa joe and enjoy.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Michel said...

Well, actually, golden brown. But, wow, I didn't even pick up on that freudism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home