Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Ice cream à la saveur de brown sugar

Since trying this at La Brunoise a couple weeks ago, I decided to try it myself. And the result? As good as the resto, or maybe even better. Hard to tell, since I'm still traumatised by all those sweetbreads. So, my version.
Ingredients
  • 4 egg yolks (what? you want to live forever?)
  • 1 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 c. 35% cream
  • 2 c. 15% cream
  • 1.5 tsp vanilla
Whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar together, set aside. Bring the creams to a near boil, and whisk into the yolk/sugar mixture. Cook over low heat, until the liquid coats the back of a spoon. (Okay, here's a trick for doing that. Dip the back of the spoon into the liquid, flip the spoon 90 degrees, and drag a finger across the liquid. If the remainder of the liquid on the spoon doesn't drip into this track mark, you're gold.) Take off the heat, strain and add the vanilla. Cool to room temperature, and refridgerate until cold.
Prepare as you would with any ice cream maker, and freeze for a couple more hours. I now have about 2 litres of the stuff at home, calling my name, testing my resistance. But I will not submit. No, I will not.
Cool tip: You'll never see this is recipes, but there's a way to make your ice cream smoother, silkier, and taste like liquid sex: add a pinch of salt to the mixture. You can thank me later.

7 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't keep ice cream very long without preservatives...

I think you have to share. How about tonight at the YUL blog meeting :-)

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Michel said...

Well, that should never be a problem at our place. Except that the milliner is in Italy, so no one besides myself is eating it.
I would bring some to Yulblog. Except that it would melt by then. And also, that I'd be forced to go to Yulblog.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Details, details...

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Lisa Durbin said...

Oh my good lord. I could run off and marry that ice cream.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really, i think it's the best ice cream i've ever had. perfect texture. perfect taste.

ok. well if you can find a way to erase the calories, then it would be better than perfect.

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear God that sounds delicious.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Martine said...

It. Was. Delicious. And. Decadent.

Death by smoothness.

Whoa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home