Monday, April 03, 2006

Meat and potatoes, with a side order of 'shrooms

I received a Foodsaver for Xmas this year, and it stayed in its box for about a month, while we wondered what to do with it. In fact, I almost sold it to a friend, but he tried to bargain too low a price, so in the end I kept it. I'm glad I did, because I realised that it was a great tool for conserving leftovers, and for freezing meals, especially confits, be it duck or rabbit confits, or even onion, which makes it convenient if I'm ever in the mood to make a quick onion soup.
So now, I've gotten into the habit of making duck confits, but am often left wondering what to do with it. Made rillettes, warm mesclun salad, corn crepes with duck confit, etc., but I always wanted to try it with ravioli. Did a web search, found and modified a recipe. Here goes:
Ingredients
  • 2 legs of duck confit, skin removed and set aside
  • 2 sweet pototoes
  • 2 tbsp crème fraiche
  • splash of vanilla
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • ravioli sheets (I make my own from ~2 cups flour/3-4 eggs
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp white truffle oil
  • 2 tbsp truffle paste (yeah, I know, but it's sooo worth it)

Directions
Remove the duck meat from the bones and mince. You'll get a lot more meat than you would expect. Set aside. Mash the potatoes, add the salt and pepper, the crème fraiche and the vanilla. (The original recipe called for russet potatoes, sour cream and no vanilla. I let my imagination run a bit wild.)
In a pan, fry up the skin with a bit of butter, and set aside on a paper towel. Pour the duck meat into this pan and heat through. Then, fold the duck meat into the mashed pototoes, set aside or, to make things easier, place into a pastry bag, making it simpler to portion out.
Lay out your ravioli sheets, and place about a tablespoon of the duck/potato mix per ravioli, and top with a flat parsley leaf.

If you don't have, or don't want to make ravioli, you can also use wonton wrappers. seal up the ravioli, and heat through in water.
Add 2 tbsp butter to a pan, and brown slightly. Add the truffle oil and the truffle paste. This mixture should bubble up, and a musky aroma will fill the kitchen.
Place the drained ravioli onto plates (you did drain them, right?), and pour the truffle sauce on top. Dessert was brown sugar ice cream, which I made earlier in the day. Recipe to follow. Enjoy. (Sorry, pictures kinda fuzzy.)

5 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger Blork said...

OK, OK... Forty dollars!

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Michel said...

Oooo, forty dollars?
Let me think about it............... no.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger ChefNick said...

Wow, those ravioli look great. I have to figure out how to make the ravioli they have at L'Express. There's a recipe on the Web somewhere.

Blork, you fucked up, dude. Offer him $100.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger blk said...

your raviolis look so much prettier then mine :( bahahaha, mine are really quite atrocious... blk

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Michel said...

blk, I just purchase this from Amazon. It makes life much simpler.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home