Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Croque madame

Croque Madame
I've become somewhat addicted in the past while to croque madames. They're incredibly easy to make, and taste delicious.
Take two slices of bread (I use my own pain de campagne), spread some Dijon on each slice, top off with ham and Gruyère, and fry them up in a non-stick or cast-iron pan with butter. Stick in a hot oven to melt the cheese.
Meanwhile, prepare a Mornay sauce, which is just your run-of-the-mill béchamel with more Gruyère added to it. Oh, and fry up a mirrored egg. I simply crack an egg into a pan, and after 30 seconds place a cover on top. Take the pan out of the oven, place one slice on the other, top off with the egg, and spread the sauce over everything except the yolk. Pepper like crazy.
The only difference with this and a croque monsieur is the egg and sauce, and I'm sure there's some sort of freudian meaning about these two additions and how the white sauce drips down and around the yolk, but my mind blanks out at such concepts.

4 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Blogger Blork said...

Oooo, baby! Gimme summa dat!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger ChefNick said...

Why do I never think of these sinful things when I'm hung over on a Saturday morning? Maybe because the hangover removes the drive and creativity. I end up just drinking mineral water. This recipe will be lvingly committed to memory.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger ChefNick said...

Looking at the pic, I was struck by an idea--what would happen if you made the sandwich concoction, then cracked a raw egg on top of the toast (very carefully) and then broiled it? Any opinions on what would happen to the egg? Or the toast? Would the white immediately sink into the bread and then turn white, leaving the yolk on top? What does a broiled egg taste like?

I may be on to something here.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Michel said...

I'm pretty sure the top of the egg would blacken, leaving the toast all soggy.
I await the results of your experiment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home