Monday, February 11, 2002

How low can she go?

I couldn’t believe my eyes. The other day, I was at the Atwater Market, on my weekly trip to buy food for the week. (One really nice thing about the market is that you can buy organic produce, including meats. Trust me, even though you have to pay more – sometimes much more – for organic, the difference in taste is highly worth it.) Oh right, back to the story. I was at the fishmonger, and who do I happen to see but a fellow (or is that fella?) tech writer who goes by the name of MellowKitty. There she was, trying to hock her beloved shrimp sheller, the one she carries everywhere to show to anyone she can. Patrons were accosted at the door, pestered with pleas of “Hey, want a sheller? I’ll sell it to ya cheap. C’mon, I haven’t had a smoke in two years, and I’m dying. Please, take pity on a dot-comer.”
With no luck from the customers, MK turned her attention to the fishmongers themselves, trying to cadge something, anything out of them. By the end, she was reduced to begging for bones. Thankfully, she didn’t see me. I wasn’t going to say a thing, out of respect for a former mentor, but then I read the following and decided, hey why not?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home